Most 510, 511, and 512 [ beehive] rifles will shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with the "right" cheap ammo for them. That is average with a scope. 0.25" groups can be cut out from the target and carried in the wallet to show, but 1" is average.

In 1985 I shot a great horned owl that was taking my chickens, at 275 feet with a stinger from a Rem 510 with peep sight in front and rear.

My eyes got old in 1991 and I needed a scope.

Since I killed all those animals with drilled and tapped 510, I started using a 10/22. I killed a lot.

Then I switched to a Rem 550-1 [semi auto beehive] and killed with that. It will shoot shorts.

Then I switched to the Rem 572 [pump that will shoot shorts]. Lots of dead animals.

Then I switched to Win 61 [pump that will shoot shorts].
I killed a rat with it 4 days ago:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._2015_annual_dead_critter_a#Post10148016

I know a guy who has killed a lot of elephants in Africa. I tell him you can get just as much sport shooting a rodent with a 22 in your back yard. I stalked that last rat for two weeks.

My brother got a raccoon with a 22 this morning, 900 miles from here. He sent me two pics. He only sends one pic when he shoots and elk with a 30-06.

I think it has something to do with what we were doing when we were 12. Hunting the swamps with a 22.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps