I have a newer 260 rem in a Tikka CTR. I have been working up loads with 140 Amax's, but am looking for one bullet to use for both shooting steel at 1k, and for hunting from 50 out to 500 or so.

Game will be deer, Mouflon and Aoudad, hogs.

Velocity wise, I can get better than 2750 with the Amax's, but have been shooting them at 2700.

I considered trying the 140 LRAB, as it seems like it might be perfect, even if the BC is probably in the lower 600's, not 7's as advertised. But I am reading too many comments about how unbelievably soft these are so that they will open way out there, so I am concerned about that, even though my velocities will be moderate. When I talked to Nosler, they warned me about being careful about how hard you push them as the tech said they are so soft that the ogive is easily deformed, leading to poor accuracy.

Amax's would be great, they shoot well and are cheap. But reading online, I can't find a consensus on whether they will blow up or just pencil through!

Berger..I just talked with them. Having bought a box of 140 Match Hybrids, they don't recommend it. The tech says some people find them to work, others, they just pencil through. He recommended either shooting into a shoulder bone (don't like that, wastes meat) or trading/selling them and trying either the 140 VLD hunting (with it's finicky seating depth) or trying the new 130 Hybrid AR.

All in all, for target shooting, I want a high BC that will keep me supersonic to 1k at least, maybe 1250 as one class I will take this fall goes to 1250. For hunting, I like a bullet that will pass through, leaving a decent hole. I don't like ruining too much meat, but a pin size hole going through is not good either.

Maybe there just is no way to get both, I don't know. But if that's the case, I'll have target bullets for long range shooting, but then have to resight to hunt with another load. But I'd definitely prefer a solution to cover both, if possible.

Thanks!