I am getting back into shooting (rimfire) and last few days been perusing my favorite forums to read what folk are shooting for casual bench or steel in centerfire rifles. This is not a question asking for help. But an observation, which maybe totally due to my limited perspective. It does not seem the average grade varmint or sniper rifles perform any better than say Remington 40x from the 1960's.

I been considering CZ Varmint, Savage varmint, Sako, etc or the new Ruger Precision for less traditional platform. None seem to measure up to the old 40x. Granted the 40x cost more back in the day.

I mention the Remington because I watch a shooter fire small one hole groups. group after group, I mean "SMALL" under 1/4 moa. I though, hey I want some of that. He had an old scope that mounted on the rear of the receiver and rear of the barrel. After 60 years with CNC and improvements, I expect medium grade guns should be alot better today than higher grade from 60 years ago. I dont see that.

yes the 40x was a top gun in its day and I am looking a medium guns. yet, I would have expected more. The few guns with accuracy guarantee are 1 moa (some only three shots). I would think 1 moa was a given and the builders would compete with 1/2 or better guarantee.

Look at the Ruger Precision, best super match 6.5 ammo and 3/4 inch groups reported in American rifleman. What is that? I dont need a new gun to do that.