Hi Folks,
I'm new here but I've spent most of my life shooting black powder. I'll admit to being a traditionalist. There's a flintlock Northwest Trade Gun in 20 gauge hanging on the wall above me as I type this. Never owned an inline in my life and highly unlikely to do so at this late date. On the other hand, I say to each his or her own. I just thought I'd point out a couple of things about elk and PRB. First, traditional archers harvest elk each season with with an arrow. Their average shot distance is less than 20 yards. A properly placed PRB will be at least as effective as a broadhead. Second, while I've never been fortunate enough to hunt elk, my father was. He took five over the years and did so with a "measly" .45 caliber percussion long rifle shooting PRB. The range averaged about 50 yards. Three fell where they stood and none made it beyond 40 yards before piling up. I'll note that all were heart shots.

Hunting with muzzleloaders is all about accepting limitations. Put the bullet, be it round or conical, where it needs to go and you will have success.

Regards,
John

Last edited by Stormrider51; 07/24/15.