Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by Alamo_308
...is he/she still fully entitled to 2nd Amendment rights? In other words, obtain a CHL, possess firearms, etc.?

Yes..., BIMHO, not for much longer.

If the legislation can pass a standard definition on mental disease, my prediction is that it will be broad enough to cover PTSD, and seek to deny ownership/possession.

As noted above, a slippery slope, but I think we are already on it.

Potentially a legal definition of mental illness or history of mental illness could be any of the 200-some conditions listed and defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association, which is now in its fifth edition, I believe, designated DSM V. Among health care professionals It is the "bible" for diagnosing mental conditions. Without checking, I would think that PTSD would certainly be included.

A review of the history and intermingling of politics and science in the evolution of the DSM should be enough to give any reasonable person cause for concern. It should be an an eye opener for those who naively believe that "nut jobs" are easily identifiable and isolated, and denied access to firearms, and that it couldn't include themselves.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.