If I were looking for another drilling it would be in 16 gauge over 6.5x57R, 7x57R or 7x65R with an emphasis on the 7x65R. These are mainstream cartridges that brass and bullets are easy to come by, are relatively flat shooting for most hunting situations.

I hunt coyotes with a 16x16/6.5x58R, an ideal gun for the work, power wise close to a 25-35 Win and flat enough with light bullets out to 200 yards but not enough power for larger game than coyotes IMO. Brass and Bullets are a challenge as the groove dia. is .260.

My 16x16/7x57R is an ideal big game rig with factory loads to 173gr for larger game and quite accurate. Loaded with a pair of Brennekes there isn't much on this continent I would feel undergunned with. It handles nice enough that it would double as a bird gun.

My 9.3x72R is on par with a 38-55 Win and is nice for hunting whitetails in forested country with a slug in the left and 6's in the right for some grouse for the pot. It is a better handling shotgun and I shoot it well for birds.

Last edited by erich; 07/31/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders