Originally Posted by TheKid
With a 700 too. Either a real badass or lucky to be alive:)

If it was with a .700 H&H double, he is one of the very few who has one.

The story I've read is that Holland & Holland vowed to make no more 600s and so an American who wanted one designed his own cartridge (or more likely had it done for him.) Than he contracted with H&H to make a double for him in that caliber. I seem to recall that it may have cost him as much a $600,000 for that rifle.

I somewhere have one of the original cartridge cases, which bore his name. I believe that the cases were made by Jim Bell of Brass Extrusion Laboratories, Ltd. (B.E.L.L.), considering how I got it. H&H saw a good thing and renamed it the 600 H&H.

There are probably far less than a dozen rifles made in that caliber. In my view, it is quite unneeded, but folks do what they want. grin

I looked at the picture again and he used a bolt action, not a British express double, so I guess you meant a Remington 700 action, which of course is push feed.
Harry Selby used a Winchester Model 70 push feed .458 Win Mag for years after his double was broken and he seemed pretty happy with it from reports he made.

In my view, I'd prefer a 70 with CRF extractor or a big bore double, based on my own far more limited experience with dangerous African game. I tried a rifle based on a Remington 700 action, with less than ideal results. I now have both of the other two.

Last edited by Anjin; 07/31/15.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).