Early in the year ic mod would be a good starting place, or anytime birds are holding well. For later in the year or anytime birds aren't holding particularly well I would go with light mod and imp mod or mod and full, but I like tighter chokes tham most guys. When I hunt them with my auto I use imp mod cause I like the way it knocks them down. If the gold standard is mod for a single then splitting the difference with a double would be even better, one barrel more open than mod and one tighter. More forgiving on close shots and more pattern on longer ones. Of course you need to find a load that throws a even pattern, it not all in the choke. You can also control patterns with your shell to a good degree.

Forgive me if I'm over doing it but the fire is made up largely of rifle shooters and I know almost nothing about rifles but I have a boner for all things shotgun and I have spent many hours patterning many shotguns and shooting clays and birds. I finally get to talk about something I know well.

Last edited by seal_billy; 08/01/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner