So, the pre 64's I have owned before have either been custom barreled or collector grade rifles that one should not tinker with. I am now the proud and excited owner of a nicely refinished (so no longer collector grade) pre 64 Westerner in 264 Win Mag. It even came with two extra barrels, both of them very clean and fresh so this rifle is likely to be my deer and medium game rifle for some time to come.

I want it to shoot its best, and be more stable in bad weather than an unglassed pre 64 would be, but I am not a fan of plastic on a classic rifle like this.

My query is this, when glass bedding such a rifle with its extra recoil lug out in the middle of the forend, is it generally the best practice to glass the whole barrel channel including the forward lug along with the action area? Just the front and rear recoil lugs? Part or all of the action area?

I have glassed many rifles with usually great results, but never a pre 64 Model 70 that still had its original barrel and stock.

THANKS a ton in advance for the ideas and help here! Mark

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500