Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf

..... without machine work. I realize that there may be lathe work involved but without that what do you think?

Isn't this statement a bit contradictory?

Machine work IS involved so how can you say "WITHOUT THAT", how much would it cost?

Unless I am misunderstanding your statement, "WITHOUT THAT", the work can't be done so no price can be quoted.

It isn't a Savage, you don't just unscrew one and screw on another.

I personally would never change one out without taking the time to do basic truing of the action face and locking lugs as well as changing the recoil lug to a precision ground lug - you're only looking at about $125 with the lug and that would include setting back the shoulder on the new barrel which would also allow adjustment to headspace properly. It MAY require opening up a little in the stock for the thicker lug.

One thing to consider is that very likely, the stamping on the the new barrel will NOT be located in the correct position like factory original and if there are sights or tapped holes for the sights, they will not be indexed properly either (once in a while you get lucky).

Also, I would think it goes without saying but the contour from old to new if different can be an issue with the stock fit - I am sure you already considered this when you got the barrel.

The last thing to consider is that the new barrel may or may not shoot worth a damn.

I do this for a living so just my 2 cents worth - your mileage may vary.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"