I drew the 41-1 any elk rifle tag (October 15 - November 5).

I could use some info from folks familiar with the area.

I’m in decent shape and live at 6500 feet. I have a deer hunt in NM in September at 9-10K feet so will be in better shape by the time this hunt rolls around. I’ve been hunting elk and deer seriously for 20 years, so fairly experienced. I won’t be able to drive from NM to WY to scout before the hunt, but will probably be able to spend most of the hunt up there. I could probably get up there a few days before the start of the hunt if that makes sense.

I plan on dragging a camp trailer up for base camp. I plan to spend most nights in the camper and hunt from camp or drive to a place to hike in. I’m good for 6 or 8 miles each day (long term) or more if not every day or conditions warrant going light. I might do some overnights a few miles in on foot if the weather cooperates. The truck is 4WD, but big, so I won’t be doing any tight trails to get to a place to start hunting. I’m not interested in road hunting and want to get away from crowds (but not afraid to park on a busy road and climb over a ridge or two if that is what is needed.) I’d like a nice bull, but the hunt is more important than the rack. If the bulls do not cooperate, a cow is fine.

What I’m looking for info-wise is which part of the unit is good to use for a base of operations. Then I know where to focus map scouting before I come up. Looking at maps it looks like the eastern part of the unit near (but not in) the Cloud Peak Wilderness is my best bet. It looks like most of the rest of the unit is lower, and agricultural (and mostly private.)

From what I read it looks like non-residents like me need a guide in the wilderness (which is why I’m staying out of it.) I’m too cheap and stubborn to do the guide or private land trespass fee thing.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

(p.s. I look like a newbie to the Campfire, but have been around for 6 or 8 years. My old login would not work so I just created a new profile. I used to be something like NM ElkChaser.)