Oh, the .17 HMR will kill at 300, if it hits the right place. Was shooting prairie dogs with a friend of mine who'd never shot a Hummer before, back when my CZ had the Burris with Ballistic Plex on it. I'd killed PD's out to 250+ with it, so knew where to hold out.

He was so impressed after watching me shoot it (he'd also never seen a multi-point reticle in use before) that he decided to try a long shot the first time he pulled the trigger. By that time we know the ranges to most parts of this small pasture, and he shot at a dog on the far side. It fell over and started doing the head-shot dance. As near as we could laser the range it was 303 yards. This was on a very calm morning, unusual in Montana at that time of year, and according to Sierra's ballistic program retained energy was around 50 foot-pounds.

He was so impressed he had to buy his own .17 HMR and Burris Ballistic-Plex, but apparently he hasn't made any 300-yard PD shots with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck