I do some work for an outfitter south of Yellowstone, Two Ocean Pass Outfitters. Some of the same country that Cocadori was in that he posted photos of.

The outfitter usually takes a group of boy scouts in every year to help with cutting firewood and clearing trails. This year we took the troop that our local church sponsors. It is wilderness so no chain saws. Cross cuts and axes.

The boys also got to cook the meals. It was a good thing one of the leaders grew up in a restaurant and knows how to camp. He got to teach the boys all kinds of old cooking tips from way back. For instance how to use a can opener. And that is not a joke.

We went in July and I took my 8 yr old in on his second trip and my draft cross colt on her first trip. We also had 7 scouts, only 1 of them really knew how to ride, most didn't even know how to camp. We also had several of their leaders, who knew how to camp, but don't know horses.

It was a pretty good trip, my son loved it, he knows most of the boys that went and had a good time harassing them. Especially about their cowboy skills. My colt did great. We packed her in light, then I rode her out of camp a couple days while we where there.

One day we went down to Bridger Lake and fished, visited with Cocadori's friends and caught a few fish.

I also rode a haflinger some friends gave me a couple years ago for the first time. We'd just been packing him.

Leading 8 mules in with 7 scouts and 4 leaders behind me. Thank goodness my friend who knows horses was along as well with us to help the boys. The rest of camp and packs came in a ways behind us.

[Linked Image]

Ready to head back to camp.
[Linked Image]

Leading a pack mule with the saw and axes.
[Linked Image]

Dinner time, pretty serious business with teenage boys that have been working all day.
[Linked Image]

Headed to Bridger Lake on my draft colt
[Linked Image]

This is Charlie the haflinger. He was supposed to be a kids horse, but got a little of the spoiled kids horse syndrome. He lines right out with some discussion.
[Linked Image]