OK, I'm humbly seeking some knowledge on custom knives. My Buck 110 as served me well over the years but I would like to move up and improve my hunting blade. I would like to learn a little before making a decision.

I would greatly appreciate any of your time you could give to remove my ignorance about some of these things.

I'm seeking a fixed blade knife that will be "used" so it will not be just a pretty looker. It will be carried in my pack or on my side and primarily used to field dress big game. I would want it to hold a sharp edge long enough to field dress and debone an elk (if that is reasonable). I would also want it to skin the game, cut tough tenons at bone joints, etc.

Steels: I see D2, 440c 154cm,...
What and why would you recommend for me?
Is there a danger of getting a steel to hard and it becoming brittle?

I take it that the actual hardness and how the edge behaves is some what controlled by the knife maker as he tempers the steel? And hence it is the "art" part of making a great knife, is that correct?

Panels (or scales?)
Wood? (pros and cons)
Bone/Horn? (pro and cons)
synthetic? (pro and cons)

Bolsters: pro and cons?

Blade shape: I think I would like a skinner or semi-skinner that lean toward a drop point some....

Finish: I like a satin finish, but see some highly polished finishes that looks like they would be easier to wipe clean, but I'm concerned about light scratches that might accumulate and slowly dull a bright finish.

I also see tapered tangs. They do add a different atheistic appearance to the knife, is there more benefit?

Thanks for reading and the feedback, sorry to ramble.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member