Two of my nephews both started hunting deer & hogs with an AR-15 when they were 11 or 12. Both were small for their age, and had no trouble handling and carrying an AR for hunting.
When they first started out, I only let them hunt with a 5 round mag, with a total of 3 rounds, only , and of course, an empty chamber, while walking.

One of them has a DPS Oracle, and the other has a S&W MP-15.
Both guns have been very reliable and shoot sub MOA 3- shot groups @ 100 yards. Both guns are Flattops and have Leupold scopes mounted.

Like others mentioned, I see no need for a Mill-spec AR for deer hunting.
IMO, based on price and usability, I would recommend, a flat top model in:
1. S&W MP-15
2. Ruger AR-15
3. Stag Arms AR-15
4. DPS Oracle AR-15.
5. Rock River builds a great AR-15, but they are quite a bit more expensive, for a beginners AR.

And unless you just want to spend the extra money, I see no need to buy a Colt, for hunting, unless you plan to sell it later on. The Colt AR will always hold it's value, better than the others.

For Factory Ammo for deer & hog hunting, the Winchester 64 grain Power Point ammo, and their new hog ammo both work great. If your going to Handload, a Barnes TTSX works very well on that sized game as well.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~