Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Don't know anything about Cummins, but VM diesels have been used in quite a few 4x4's here in the UK..Older Range Rovers and Jeep Cheorokee's spring to mind.

Pete,

The little SUV that's called the Cherokee in the UK is named the Liberty in the U.S. That's the one I've got, it's got the same 2.8L VM in it as in the U.K. but thanks to our EPA they hang a lot more emissions crap on it for U.S. sale. The extra emissions stuff caused some problems with the engines here, lots of soot build up in the oil due to the exhaust gas recirculation system of the U.S. version.

Jeep didn't want to use the name "Liberty" in the U.K. due to our little family spat some 240 years back.

The Cherokee I am thinking about was the old XJ body style which I think was the first Cherokee marketed in the UK??

I think the VM was used in that and the Grand Cherokee that replaced it, but I am not sure about later models.

To be honest, I’ve lost interest in more recent offerings from Jeep as they have followed the fad for yuppifying their vehicles.

While the original XJ was no Wrangler, it was still more than capable off road and a very useful size for the conditions over here.