Originally Posted by Poconojack
The iconic Winchester Proof stamp is the overlapping 'W' and 'P' that in most instances are found fairly close together in alignnment on the top or left side of the barrel and receiver. Not exactly sure what the signifiance of the stamps that you are referring to is, but most likely they are foundry, inspection or assembly stamps....

That's kinda what I'm looking for. I'm trying to verify the metal that it's made of. I bought this carbine as stainless, but I have no documentation. Most will say that it is plated, but I took it to a plating shop, and they found no evidence of electroplating. Winchester has verified, that they did in fact make the gun, but don't have records of its material. Am now following a paper trail, and hopefully will be able to prove it. If not, I will take it to be tested by a metallurgist.

I was skeptical at first, as one of the places I took it to, said that it was plated, but couldn't show any evidence of it. I then found a satin nickel model 94 and compared both. They were very different in color. The nickel had a yellow hue that was very noticeable. Then, the brushed chrome models made for the 1999 shot show showed differences as well in color and polish. I'm really not sure what I have, but it is really cool. Time and more digging and testing will tell. I won't be disappointed either way.