Picked up an interesting Stevens branded version of the Savage Model 29, it has the barrel marked 'Model 75' and the receiver marked as a 'Model 29-A'. I have found for Stevens labeled guns those marked 'Model 29-A' to be one of the rarest, and those marked 'Model 75' the most common. This one answered some questions I had but raised many more. I have some thoughts on what it is but want to show the pictures first so I don't influence anyone's opinion, I had some preconceived ideas when I looked at it so my assessment might be biased toward what I wanted to see, or expected to see.

It's the bottom one, the top is one just marked STEVEN'S MODEL 29-A for comparison.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The receivers on both guns are marked the same but they have different actions -
[Linked Image]

Two different model markings, and a warning stamp about use of Hi-Speed ammunition -
[Linked Image]

The serial number on the stock has been X'ed out but there is enough showing to see that it matched the butt plate, which does not match the receiver, which has the very rare 'M' suffix -
[Linked Image]

The receiver does not have an inspection stamp -
[Linked Image]

(continued in next post, evidently there is a limit on the number of pictures for one post)

Gene