Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Ferrugies are primo prairie dog hunters -- they don't just play whack-a-mole --- they actually get the mole.

interestingly, they have 2X the strength of a RT (4X a Harris Hawk) but their feet are only half the size.

(maybe helps with the whack-a-mole ??)

thinking is coming full circle on them ---> they're more successful at controlling prairie dogs than shooting and poisoning combined

They ARE beautiful birds, I didn't know what kind of bird it was until I got home and looked it up. The white breast feathers were the giveaway. Heck, I'd never even heard of them until that trip.
They really are good looking birds. I looked it over pretty well thru the scope (with the bolt open) as I sure didn't want any accidents. I enjoy looking at burrowing owls and big hawks while I'm in a PD patch.
It ain't ALL about killing PDs, the other stuff is just as fun to watch and experience whenever I'm out west.
Just this week, I saw armadillos, which I'd never seen before, and some other things that I'd not experienced in the wild, either. It's never a bad thing to see new critters that we don't have here in Kentucky.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.