The Remington 783 is a good value for what it is. Mine in .30-06 is accurate enough for removing from the box, mounting a scope, and taking deer with factory ammo. Like all these Tupperware stocked rifles, I find they are a bit too flexible, serviceable but not ideal, especially if used with a bipod. I found the barrel would shift from side-to-side in the forend when a Harris bipod was mounted on the plastic sling swivel mount molded into the stock, and any pressure was applied to the butt placed on a sandbag. Also that sling swivel was placed too far forward for bipod use.

I discovered that the stock has an internal boss with a hole that could be modified to hold a steel 10/32 machine thread sling swivel stud. The hole would have to be counter bored to seat the nut so as not to touch the barrel, and the stud shank cut to match.

Bipod on factory plastic stud:

[Linked Image]

Factory boss showing where a Uncle Mike's swivel stud could be mounted (on the outside of the stock, of course) relocating the bipod in a more reinforced position.

[Linked Image]

Rear position of bipod after modification:

[Linked Image]

Another alternative is to use a Boyd's laminated stock. They run around $100 plus shipping finished and drop-in ready, that comes with three swivel swivel studs installed in the varmint thumbhole stock. Below is a Boyd's I purchased just to tinker with the 783.

[Linked Image]

That blued barrel is the factory original 22" .30-06 barrel, while the rifle sports a prefit Criterion 24" heavy sporter stainless steel barrel in .25-06. These barrels interchange using small shank Savage barrel nuts, and any recoil lug that fits the Savage 10/110 or Remington 700. The scope is a Redfield Revenge 6-18x44.

With the Ruger American I believe that the recoil lug is part of the stock, which is okay, but not as flexible to modify as the Remington. However the Ruger also comes with regular swivel studs attached, and a tang safety (my favorite as it is on my Ruger #1 & #3 rifles). Both the Remington and Ruger have a sear release adjustable trigger. Both come with scope bases, however I had to change out the two piece weaver style bases for an Evolution Gun Works Long Action Remington 783 Picatinny rail base, to have a greater range of adjustment in mounting the scope's eye relief. http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1282

The Ruger differs from the Remington in that the bolt has three locking lugs, while the Remington has two. I have several rifles with three locking lugs, including Cooper and Wichita models, and one old Remington 788 with nine rear locking lugs. In a rifle of this class, the number of locking lugs doesn’t seem to make much difference, other than in bolt lift. Ruger also chose a modified American action for the new Ruger Long Range Rifle, which may be a recommendation. both the American and 783 will shoot groups around 1.0" to 2.0" with factory ammo they like, with the odd rifle doing better. Handloading may well better that performance.

While I own and appreciate the Remington 783, I'd recommend taking a good look at the Ruger American, it may be the better deal for the casual hunter not interested in reinventing the wheel.

P.S.: If you need a Picatinny rail type base for your Ruger American, look here: http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=...r+American+scope+bases&x=12&y=11

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 08/30/15.