Originally Posted by USMC2602
I'm lucky enough to have a true friend living across the cul-de-sac from my family. 40 years my senior, WW2 P-47 pilot, widowed, and an absolute champ of a man. His 4 sons all live within 10 minutes, but can rarely make it over to see him. He's a wonderful "extra" grandpa to my daughter, and I've been blessed with some amazing stories over a good Scotch sitting on his patio. It's just my bride, daughter, and me, so when you cook for 3, you're cooking for 4, and I take him dinner 3 or 4 nights a week.

Made Shrimp & Grits and a nice salad tonight. After dinner, I made him a plate and walked over. He was in his chair enjoying a Scotch. I asked him if he'd eaten yet. He said, " No, on nights you don't come over, I just have some ice cream." I told him I had a real treat for him tonight, put the plate on his TV tray next to his chair, and told him I'd get him a fork, napkin, and a glass of tea. While I was in the kitchen he asked " What is this?" I answered "Shrimp and grits" a couple times, but as he'll tell you, he can't hear himself break wind! I walked back in and sat down next to him, he took his fork and dug right in. It made my whole night when he said, "I still don't know what this is, but it beats the schitt out of ice cream!"

I'm a fortunate man. When guys like him are gone (my Dad has already passed), there won't be any more like them.

Most considerate...God bless you...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]