Tarkio: Back in the late 60's and 70's myself and my Hunting partners used to drive on down to the far south east corner of Montana (near Alzada) to shoot a couple of Buck Mule Deer apiece!
We "used to" take the "shortest" route that took us through the Crow Indian Reservation and then immediately through the Northern Cheyenne Indian Resrvation. Sadly we were working types and had to travel that route most often on Saturday evenings -it got to be so dangerous and scary that after a few years of numerous "close call incidents" we consciously decided to take the much longer (but much safer!) route up through Miles City and then turning south through Broadus thus avoiding the dangers that were (and still are!) inherent with travelling on the roads and highways of those two adjacent reservations.
I also "braved" the elements and would travel to the Northern Cheyenne Reservation during spring and summer to Hunt Prairie Dogs thereon - I did this for years but would only drive on the rez during mid-morning and mid-day!
Sad the destruction, human misery and death that alcohol and drugs have plagued Indian folks on these two reservations I know is horrific!
I hope no one was hurt in that horse versus automobile accident (on that straight and level stretch of road???)!
I simply refuse to drive on any road on any Indian Reservation in Montana after dark - its simply a matter of self preservation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy