Originally Posted by tedthorn
Most folks probably don't know why a barrel is chromed anyway......or why any AR part is chromed

It's been a couple of weeks now but I believe I was told the chrome lined bbl and chamber is for longevity and ease of cleaning.

If I haven't forgotten all the information that they tried to provide me, longevity was explained as mostly pertaining to folks who use their AR's in "rapid fire mode", folks who shoot competition, 3 gun type stuff, or just like to run thru mags of ammo.

Ease of cleaning? My limited knowledge gained from places like here and some magazines and friends, and from what I believe the gentleman at the store (a competitive pistol shooter who tried the 3 gun game) was trying to get across to me had to do with the direct impingement guns and "dirty" gas getting back into the chamber area and also perhaps a smoother bore from the chrome plating? Perhaps it doesn't apply to piston guns, but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money.

If I knew more I wouldn't have posted here, I'd be out buying whichever AR I thought would work.

Thanks for the pointers folks,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?