Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Thinking about a Tundra for the next truck. What do you like about yours? Any major defects or problems? What is the fuel economy (or lack thereof) with the 5.7 versus the 4.7?

Dan

FWIW, the 4.7 was dropped a few years ago in favor of the then new 4.6. The 4.7 was a good motor, but at best made about 280HP, the 4.6 is 310HP and a bit more torque.

That said, I have a 2007 Crewmax Tundra that I bought used in 2010 with about 35k on it. I use it mainly for towing a 5th wheel RV that goes 9,000lbs + when loaded and it does a good job of towing it. Mileage towing pretty much stinks at around 8-9.5 MPG when towing at speeds of 65 mph or so.

MPG empty is much better. I have made a couple 400 mile round trips downstate in the last month and monitored the mileage closely. The first trip was with the cruise set at 73mph and I got 16.9 mpg. The second trip was a bit more hurried as I was headed to see my mom in the hospital. I had the cruise set at 78 and got 15.5mpg. I don't feel too bad with those numbers, especially considering that I have all terrain tires and about 450 lbs of weight in the bed.

Winter mpg is a couple mpg lower.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile