If you actually think that the 7MM recoils significantly more than a 30-06, you have a 7MM Rem Mag rifle that has stock design issues versus having a significantly harder recoiling cartridge.

In similar weight rifles with the same stock design such as two Win Model 70's or Rem 700's, the difference in actual recoil in foot pounds (both at roughly 20 foot pounds) is insignificant in comparison. In contrast, a poorly designed rifle stock causes you to perceive felt recoil as being far greater than it is.

I like and use both cartridges, and I definitely don't like one more than the other because it "kicks less". smirk And neither cartridge - like most other cartridges you look at - will not always live up to its internet quoted velocities provided by Moe Handloader. [/quote]

I have found the recoil about equal for these two cartridges in similar rifles. Perhaps the 7 mag kicks slightly more, nothing significant to me. Having said that, my brother had a 7 mag in a 700 bdl stock that banged him around pretty good, definitely a stock fit issue as he also had one in a mcmillan supergrade that was easy to shoot.
In timber for closer shots on big stuff (elk, moose) I'd probably prefer an 06 loaded heavy, but at longer ranges (clearcuts, cross-canyon opportunities) I'd much prefer a 7 mag with something like a quality 160 grain bullet. The preference in the timber for an 06 would be because I could run a 22" barrel for a bit handier package, nothing to do with the cartridge.