If you can stand the coin, go straight to Anschutz. I have had three 54 Sporters. Try as I may, I never learned to like the roll over stocks for field work. OK from the bench, terrible got hunting. These days, they offer an American style stock. My cheap Remingtons to follow do very nearly as well.

I have a couple of older Marlin 39A Mounties that are not far behind.

After my bride's folks all passed away, she sold the house. While cleaning out the store room, I found an old single shot Remington 510 Targetmaster. Absolutely no blue left, but a good looking bore. It shoots bug holes.

Cruising the pawn shops a year or so ago, I found a Remington 511 ( same gun with a removable magazine) in really nice condition for $40. I grabbed it. It is the same gun as the Junior Target, sans the receiver sight and target stock. It shoots bug holes as well, especially with target ammo.

I'm sure others have covered the new offerings. I like used guns for value.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero