Originally Posted by Axtell
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
A shooter will reap more benefit from this handloading step than trying to weigh charges to the thousandth...

Yep and checking for concentricity.

DF

Ja,

- anneal every firing
- uniform primer pockets
- turn necks, minimum looking for 0.012-0.013" thickness
- case trim so all are the same
- deburr and inside chamfer flash holes
- charge cases, just under or just over 100% density
- brush case mouths
- weigh powder to the 100ths of a grain +0.020/-0.000
- check concentricty, hold to 0.001" or less

I haven't volume sorted brass yet or weigh sorted bullets, but its a long winter so maybe I'll do that.

The most noticeable changes going from hand loading for hunting to long range precision were:

annealing , neck turning, accurate measurement of powder and the Quickload program to measure changes.

I don't anneal after every firing, don't mess with primer pockets or weigh powder to hundredths.

I do check run out with a Sinclair tool and use a Tru Angle if needed. I like to neck size, use Lee Collet Neck sizers a lot. I set shoulders back a bit with a body die when bolt closure starts to get stiff. I turn necks on some rounds, not all. I don't weigh brass or bullets. I do sometimes sort brass by neck wall uniformity, which aids in concentricity.

I have Wilson seaters, Forester Benchrest seaters, Hornady seaters, etc. Different set ups for different rounds.

And, I have several half MOA rifles, a number of sub inch rifles, all good enough for what I do. The choice of rifle depends on how far I expect to shoot and the critter I'm hunting.

DF