Dear Guys,

I need some advice regarding an old Winchester 94, in .38-55, with the 24 inch round barrel, full length magazine, and nosecap. The rifle was made in 1902. The wood on it is extremely good, zero cracks, not refinished, minor handling marks. My dad bought it a few years ago and stupidly WAY over paid for it. (Gulp, $1,350).

The metal is only about 60 percent, with a nice patina. Well worn, no bad rust or pitting. except for three blood rust fingerprints on the side of the receiver, and these are unsightly.

The action is very tight and the mechanics are positive.

The biggest problem is: the barrel is worn out. Shallow rifling, erosion throughout, maybe a 6 or 7 at best.

So, this rifle is neither fish nor fowl. Unlike an early Model 73, where shot- out bores are not viewed as unusual, a bad bore on a 94 is a really bad thing. It makes this rifle neither a shooter, nor a desirable collectible.

I originally thought, no problem. I'll just get the barrel relined in .30-30 or 38-55 and make it a nice old shooter. BUT, I think my research shows that nobody will reline an old .38-55 barrel to any common caliber. There just isn't enough metal left to be safe.

So what to do? Have him dump it at a low price? If so, what price?

Buy a new replacement barrel for $275, and then spend another $100 on top of that to have it installed? And, if it is a .30-30 barrel, I have to look for new cartridge guides as well?

What a mess. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Mannyrock