Originally Posted by dogzapper

When Karen and I used to hunt near Jordan, Montana, we'd usually spend the first couple of days just driving around and figuring out what kind of bucks were on the ranch ... that year.

Sometimes, the good-to-great bucks would be up and out of the Missouri Breaks and sometimes they weren't.

Anyway, on about the third day, we'd start picking our deer.

THEN, one year, this was the very first deer I saw and I fell in love with the shape of his antlers. So, he just had to die.

I killed him with my .280 Ackley Improved using a prototype 160-grain Ballistic Tip. He was right at 400-yards. Normally, I would have stalked him, but I wanted him so badly, I just killed him right there.

BANG - FLOP KILL

To my way of thinking, he had it all. Nope, I've never put a tape on him ... Why spoil it?

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

IMHO tapes and books are about worthless. Unless of course you like to brag... I don't care for bragging and don't care for folks that do it.

Nice buck Steve!

My take.... I"m constantly trying to improve genetics... I shoot whats not good for the herd every time I see it. Until I'm out of tags.

I"m finally getting a solid 10 point pool at home and am starting to think about whacking every legal 8 I see that I have tags for, IE breeding age ones. Leave the 10s alone and life will be even nicer IMHO.

Can't believe I got to the point of passing a 10 though... had not ever shot a 10 until about 5 years ago.

Out and about I"m just as happy to eat a cull or doe if the herd needs thinning.

I am a meat hunter. I will NOT shoot promising bucks though, even if they are all I see.

Caveat is we have a long season, a good herd, and at least 4-5 tags..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....