Dear Guys,

I have been looking for a Winchester Model 64, in VG shape, 24", non-delux, for a fairly long time now. Almost every one I have seen has an asking price of $1,250 or more.

I recently found one in a pawn shop. The tag is marked Win. 94, so I'm pretty sure that they don't know what it is.

The rifle is definitely in VG+ shape. Gently used. Probably 96% to 98% of wood and metal finish remaining, with the wear in all of the right places. The bore is very nice. No cracks whatsoever in the wood. No significant dents or dings.

The asking price is $585.

I was about to jump on it, when I noticed the muzzle. The muzzle has been recrowned (very nicely), but not with a traditional Winchester type factory crown. It is a recessed type crown, very similar to what you see on Browning A bolts. Not exactly a target crown, but similar.

So my question is, what do you think of the asking price? I think the Modern Gun Digest lists the value of a VG Model 64 at around $1,000. I don't know what you would subtract for the recrown.

And, if I got it, should I get it recrowned again, to a traditional Winchester type field crown?

Thanks for all advice.

Mannyrock