Finally got around to a few projects I have been looking forwards to. One is a 10/22 build.

One this build I wanted the best accuracy I could get for the least buck. So with a standard 10/22 receiver I stripped it down and got to work.

First I indicated the bore as true I could get it, which was around .001". Given all of the rough surfaces I figured that was ok. I then trued the bore and cut to a true 11/16" diameter, removing all of the nasty scars in the receiver. Since the bore was true to the mill head I used a 3/4"x16tpi tap and threaded the bore. Once I was done with that I trued the face, removing .005" and cutting the original "cradle" down to a flat extension.

The barrel I used was a SS GM 22Lr 1" blank. I indicated the bore in to as close to .00000" as I could manage using a Grizzly rod and bushing then cut the shank and threads. I used a PTG Bentz reamer to cut the chamber, leaving a case protrusion of .045" to allow for a .002" crush fit on most 22Lr ammo. This serves double duty, 1. Ensuring that all ammo seats firm against the tenon face and 2. To act as a cushion for the bolt, preventing it from contacting the barrel tenon.

Once all of the neat stuff was done, I contoured the barrel to the standard .920" diameter and 16.75" in length.

Tomorrow I will cut the extractor cutout and test fire. I would suppose that with a bedded barrel, good scope, and decent ammo this little puppy will hum at 50yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More tomorrow.

Adam