I'm glad to see this thing finally took hold. See tons of responses to what colors do you like on your mcswirly stock, but no interest in comparing hunt prices. For what it's worth the average income in 1948 was closer to $1,000 a year, (I have copies of income tax forms showing two people and $1,600 for a year) not $2,900. Minimum wage in 1948 was $.25 an hour. My parents, before dad got his good job, made $13.00 a week for the two of them. My dad had a very well paying job and made $50 a Week. House prices were closer to a $1,000 back then. A new Chevy was about $600.00, though the bread prices seems right. I could go to the store, get 4 loaves of bread, for $.64 and bring the change home. In 1960 had friends working a secretaries who made a $96.00 a MONTH, I was making $144.00 a month In 1964. When I said PH, I meant outfitters, I guess. One guy I know there charges $2,500 a DAY per hunter, with a minimum of 4 hunters and a minimum 10 day hunt. Then you have to get there, and fly in with a shuttle from Dar, which is another couple of grand per person. Then start adding up the trophy fees. multiply those by the number of animals on the full license in the add, and see where we are. I have hunted Africa, a number of times, 1st one being back In 1972, and last one two years ago. Want to try Australia or NZ before I go back to Africa again. I also am pretty cognizant of the expenses to the outfitter/ph, as have explained to a few folks, that the $12,000 it costs to hunt a Dall sheep reflects the shortness of the hunting season, the camps that have to be set up, guide fees, etc. The other hunt costs in Canada/Alaska, are in the same situation.

When I posted the old add, thought it would get a conversation started, and finally did. Could not believe with all the discussions about other things, this add wouldn't spark one. I have always wanted to hunt Tanzania, but never been able to afford to. A guy I know who was supposed to go this year, but couldn't get a party of 4 up, said it was real easy to run up a $50k bill, and that did not involve shooting a LOT of game.

Last edited by ghost; 10/02/15.

Ghost