Originally Posted by Ringman
So, in other words you have NOT taken any apart so you don't know if the scopes are dinged or not.

Wrong, Ringy. Just in the past two months I took apart three sets of Talleys, no scope marks. One was a scope I drug all over the mountains in Alaska and beat the crap out of, wore the paint off the side of one of the rings.

I have marked up scopes in the past, but it's been long enough that I couldn't tell you which rings I used. I can tell you it was before I knew how to mount a scope correctly. Those, I don't blame on the rings.

Originally Posted by Ringman

But how about my unanswered question--who would buy a few sets of rings, open the first set and get rid of the others because the first set was all messed up, yet still install and use the first set? Would you?

You choose to be foolish at times. This is one of them.

Ringman, there's only one fool here and it's not me. What the guy said is ridiculous, and can be dismissed out of hand.

No one who's knowledgeable and experienced with scope rings would look at a set, pronounce it too messed up to use, and then go ahead and use it.

Then again, maybe he did. In which case, he just demonstrated that he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to mounting scopes. Good thing you're convinced he's worth listening to.

Ironbender, thanks for explaining what "third person" means so I didn't have to.

A wise man is frequently humbled.