Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I prefer not to over hunt my sets and especially with out the prospect of killing a buck.
The rub is this is only in a few areas not state wide and is really just political and not really a sound management strategy. This is driven by the insurance company lobbies trying to cut down on their cost for deer/car accidents
At any rate I try to keep my spots fresh until the rut starts to approach
The heard here is healthy but by no means needing to be severely thinned. We have had two of the hardest snowiest winter on record the last 2 years.
I took 4 doe last year I do my share and I don't need the DEC telling me when I need to get the job accomplished

I think we shoudl be told when to take the does and IMHO it should be prior to the rut.

Shooting them during or after helps trash a management plan in many ways.

If I was given early time, I'd shoot does in a hearbeat, but its just me. I don't really care if I shoot a big buck,that happens in due time and generally every few years only. And so I try to maintain a good herd in the meantime, does and cull bucks are the primary targets.

If I were to wait until after I took a good buck, sometimes 5 years would go by before harvest.

But different areas work differently.

Cool pics of the piebalds!

Best of luck, I enjoy seeing your thread when I have time to glance!

Insurance companies should NOT be allowed to be involved in game department stuff!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....