I a gun slut. I have several safes full of different rifles and I never sell anything. A lot of folks on here will buy one good rifle and then go fill the ark. That is fine if you live in an environment where you can go down to the local cabelas, scheels or Whitakers and pick up a very good backpacking rifle off of the rack, find a great scope with good bases and rings and then go hunt. You can borrow the guide's rifle if it breaks.

However, if you are really moving to Alaska for good. Or you really want to be set up for Alaska then you need to have a redundant option. This is a close to exact copy of your preferred weapon. It sounds like you like your EW 06. Then get one exactly like it. Have it set up exactly like it. Have two handloads and two factory options that you like exactly.

In Alaska, sometimes there will be powder shortages, ammo shortages, and other things that force you to get really knowledgable about your particular outfit. You will never tell when one scope or gun goes tits up. Thats when you need to be completely at home with your rifle and have a back up.

Presently, I live in the great city of Fairbanks. I could get by with one rifle and one scope and hunt the state with great effect. IF it broke down I could get another one quickly. However, most of my life I have lived in rural Alaska. In that situation, you need two rifles that are close to the same boiler plate . One that is ready for action and one that is also ready for action but ready to go.

Sincerely,
Thomas