Rescued a rough looking JM stamped 336 from the local pawn shop. The metal and the wood were rough and the buttstock and forearm looked like two different types of wood. Missing the rear sight altogether.

I tried re staining the wood but it just didn't look good and after I took care of the rust on the barrel and action, decided that the whole thing just needed painting. I used a flat brown paint and put black spider web over it. I painted the metal a semi-gloss black to make it look sort of like gloss blueing and it looks good from few steps away.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I put the rifle back together and was ready to shoot it so I put a redfield revolution 3-9 on it that I had handy to go to the range. I tried Remington core lokt 150's and they didn't shoot well at all. The Hornady leverevolution 160's looked good.

[Linked Image]

But the 170 Federal Blue Box looks like a winner and at a price of $13.00/box locally I will stock up on them. The 6 shot group is a composite of 2 3 shot groups shot to the same point of aim. The high shot I blame on the guy next to me with the short barreled AR that was blasting my ears all morning. I adjusted the scope to hit dead on at 100 yards and shot the group aiming at the bottom of the diamond.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not too bad for $140.00 rifle and a few dollars worth of spray paint.

I know the 3-9x40 scope is too large for the rifle but at this point, and since it is shooting so well, I'm not changing anything until after season. I may have the metal professionally coated next spring since I'm not happy with my spray can job.