Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I use a ball mic to check neck thickness. I do extensive work on my comp. brass, but nothing on my hunting brass. A waste of my time and I see no advantage to it. I do use RWS, Norma, and Lapua brass on my hunting rifles and they are good to go as is. I have never missed an animal because of my loads or rifle. My misses have been on me.
Now I know a lot of you enjoy spending time at the range and working up the ultimate load. I am really happy that you like doing it, but it ain't me.

While I don’t shoot in competition, I am teaching my grandkids to shoot and reload. I want them to know how to get the best ammo for competition and hunting. I use RWS and Lapua brass for competition level loads. But for hunting, we use mostly Winchester, Federal and Remington brass in that order of preference. We neck size with Lee dies and use a body die when needed. We clean the flash hole on all brass one time. Before each reload we check the overall length, trim as needed, chamfer, de- burr and clean the primer pocket. That is all we do for hunting brass. Are we doing too much for hunting brass?

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member