Got out for the weekend to look for bears. Glassed 14 different bears up in 2 1/2 days. Most were feeding in oaks. I shot at a nice black one and that dropped like rock out of a tree. Bear laid on the ground for a couple of minutes, got up and stumbled around and finally got his bearings and headed out- apparently unharmed. I couldn't believe it. My buddy shot the next day and missed twice. I told him that his scope must be off. Rifle is a Redrock precision 7 RUM (Pierce action, Heavy contour Broughton, McMillan A5 stock, March X in 5-50X ) were were shooting 180 Bergers at 3200 fps.

We finally found a bear standing on a huge rock just looking around, He took his time and we felt the wind was negligible. We had 3 guys spotting and one filming. Bullet must have hit 5 feet to the right. Did have enough ammo to re-sight in this rifle. Was the only rifle we brought that we felt comfortable shooting at these ranges (540-600 yards). I wouldn't shoot again. Tried to get closer but could never see them!

When up and found that I had shot the branch off the tree that my bear was standing on. Bear fell 20 feet and probably knocked out.

Another buddy that was there climbed up in the rocks and waited. He had a bear climb only 50 yards away. 140 Scirocco from his 7RUM and this bear was down. Small color phase bear, very fat!

I am hoping to get a GIF of the miss as it was classic!

Country was extremely rough and steep. Bear are amazing!

We watched bears cross this rock slide several times.

[Linked Image]

A trail the bears were using

[Linked Image]

More of the country

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.