I got my first quail of the year today. I had to track it down three times. It was the first bird to come up and I took the shot, looked unscathed but I watched it "land". It didn't look hit, but something didn't look right.
A couple others came up but not where I could shoot. So I did the due diligence, "sportsmanlike" thing and went to where I had marked it. No feathers or such but I searched around kicking bushes for 5 mins or so, no luck. Just as I was getting ready to give up I saw him running but too close to "swat" as I wanted something left to eat. Too much brush too. This went on 3 or 4 more times. Finally he got a bit further out in a patch of grass so I shot again and managed to get him.

Sure wished I had a good dog to take care of those issues and also to hold them a bit better. They were flushing out of range alot today. I managed to get one bird for five shells, not too bad of a bargain for me. He'll ("rooster CA quail) eat good on the grill tomorrow.

Here's wishing your new girl exceeds expectations.

Geno

PS, I had a practice marriage or two. Fortunately for me, those ones came like some dogs do...... with no papers!

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/12/15. Reason: PS

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?