I got this one (.38 Special Model 10-8) in '85, from the LAPD Revolver Club. I carried it during the winter months (where the temps in LA would get down to a bone-chilling 50 degrees at night) as my off-duty gun. Summers I reverted back to my 649 or later, my Airweight.

When it was "denutted" (LAPD slang for double action only) I had master LAPD armorer Harry Davis polish the trigger face and smooth the double action slightly. It rode in a old Bianchi high-ride, with a Tyler T and S&W magna stocks. It was a NICE carry gun.

I didn't use it much later in my career because I bought a 442 Airweight for undercover work and just carried the little 442 on and off-duty. Too easy.

Fast-forward to 2015. Retired, lots of time to shoot...took the old 10-8 out, liked it mucho and sent it to S&W for a slick-up and a new hammer, so I could have single action capability again. Master S&W gunsmith Gene did this one just before he retired. It needed a new hand and some other small parts, but now it's REALLY slick. Tight, perfect carry-up, with no end-shake...the ultimate S&W 3". I added a set of my favorite old Pachmayrs and I'll be good to go for another winter's carry.
Bob

Just back from S&W...still a great-looking revolver after a career of crushing crime
[Linked Image]

Trigger face was polished long ago at the LAPD Armory for DA work
[Linked Image]

A new hammer was installed by Gene at S&W, giving me SA capability again. Not really needed, but nice to have
[Linked Image]

What my 10-8 looked like "back in the day"...DAO, Bianchi high-ride, Tyler T and plain magnas. An ultimate cop-carry gun
[Linked Image]

Ready to go again, with an updated DeSantis holster and Pachmayrs. Load is the old LAPD-issued 125 grain +P Remington
[Linked Image]

Oldest daughter doing some DA work, shooting the S&W with wadcutters. An easy and fun revolver to shoot. Also an excellent house gun for the family [Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 10/13/15.