Steelhead,

VG-10 is a really good steel for some things and just plain bad choice for others.

It is quite hard and brittle when compared to some steels.. If you want to pound (baton) it through something, get a sturdy piece of D2 from Dale Atkerson. If you want a cutter, VG-10 has no equal. I made a knife for gutting/skinning deer out of a paring knife blank that I reshaped very slightly that was VG-10. It has gutted and shinned 8 deer now and is still razor sharp. If you want VG-10 and you're not going to try to pound it through stuff, get a thinner spine and sharpen to a steep angle to take advantage of the steel. Mcusta has some nice high buck designs.

Personally, I do not like the Fallkniven design and blade shape. for gutting/skinning work. The TK2 Pete suggested looks better to me. If it ever came to taking apart a what's left of a deer after boning it out I would be just as happy with a big Santoku Dale Atkerson made for me out of D2 as with any decent quality hatchet. I've had that for a few years now and butchered a lot of venison with it. I have absolutely no question it would chop a skeleton up pronto and easily without suffering any more than a good hatchet.

VG-10 parer I use a lot.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/miles58new/GEDC0568.jpg

Last edited by MILES58; 10/17/15.