Canada is a pretty big place, and the moose population varies with location. In my home province of Saskatchewan, moose have been doing extremely well in the forest fringe and parkland areas of private farm land around Saskatoon and South Central regions. That's because there is enough habitat, zero predators, and hunting pressure is regulated and limited because it is almost all private land. In the crown land "commercial forest" it is a different story. Years of unregulated hunting by treaty indians, a culture of poaching by locals, no monitoring and no appropriate licence limits for "sport " hunters and way too many roads and trails accessible by ATVs and snowmobiles has decimated moose populations. Moose are in big trouble in the southern forest fringe. And in the far north, sparse populations , poor productivity, and unrelenting pressure from locals has decimated the moose over wide areas. In pockets where snowmobiles can't or won;t go, moose are doing well.
I hunted moose in the farming land near my home (Saskatoon region) this year with a draw licence for cows. I saw 5- 7 moose each morning for 5 days, and shot a cow and guided a 16 yr old did to his first without much effort or trouble. In the North it would take several seasons to find that many moose.

Last edited by castnblast; 10/28/15.