Originally Posted by bea175
2x7 is great on a calling rifle

+1

Current scope on my dedicated calling rifle is a 2-7 Bushnell 3500 with massive thick crosshairs that cut to fine in the center. Rifle is a Remington Mohawk 600 in .243, a bore larger than .22 because wolves and cougars are on the menu.

I started with a 2-7 Redfield, worked my way through 3-9, 3.5-10 to 6-18 briefly and for my style of hunting and calling predators, went deliberately back to a 2-7. Personal hunting style is more critical than terrain IMO. I started calling in open country with a bow, needed to have close shots and have kept the same style with rifle in hand. I've called coyotes within touching distance in open grasslands. I now regularly hunt a range of terrain and vegetation from true rainforest jungle near my home to open grassland and sage a couple of hours east across our nearby mountains.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A dead coyote is lying 35 yards from the camera, just left of the small dark stump near the center of the photo below.

[Linked Image]

The coyote below came to a stand intended for bobcat and he stopped to watch the Sidewinder motion decoy pictured.

[Linked Image]

Killed a bobcat at the spot below. I like a scope mounted low and close to the bore to allow bullets to travel as close to line of sight as possible when threading small holes in brush at close range. Erich's 1-4x22 scopes are even better for this kind of work.

[Linked Image]