Leupolds, and Tascos of World Class Plus quality and above.

I've been using a 2-7 Leupy II for about 35 years now; it's still going strong. The 3.5-10 VXIII is a fantastic scope - only had that one about 10 years. The Tasco 3.5-10 WC+ (20 years) is nearly as good, and has survived tremendous abuse, including a 30 foot fall out of a tree stand. I like the Tasco WC+ 6 power I have on one rifle as well.

I also think you would be well served by a straight 6X in whatever flavor you desire, but Leupys are hard to beat for the price, for most hunting conditions. If you want to pay the outrageous import duties on the quality foreign brands, have at it - probably will make no difference in your actual hunting success over the Leupold.

Have you noticed how hard it is getting to find straight-power scopes in the last few years? I generally set my variables on one power and leave it there for the season, or the hunt if conditions change. Highest setting for more open hunting, 6X in the thicker stuff. Can't remember the last time I went below 6X...

All have heavy duty Duplex type cross-hairs. I do have an old (antique?) 3X Leupold with fine cross-hairs I have to mount on something... my now deceased brother had it mounted on the Win 94, but I went back to the aperture sight once I got my hands on the rifle again.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.