Originally Posted by Berettaman
Slugs have come a very long way and I would not hesitate one instant using one out to 100 yards on anything up to and including elk (150 yards on deer sized critters). We have 7 setups (5-12 ga and 2-20 ga) that all shoot less than 2 MOA (a few are much closer to 1 MOA and cloverleaf groups are not uncommon) at 100 yards. Muzzle velocity is 1700 to 1900 fps (20 ga and 12 ga respectively). We have had outstanding luck with Barnes Expander slugs made by Federal (now replaced by Trophy Copper by Federal). IMO I wouldn't trade my 12 ga for a 30/30. They are not 30/06s, but they have come a long way. Also on the plus side, one may be more adept at shooting a shotgun than a rifle if you are a bird hunter or clay shooter. YMMV

ive hunted slug areas alot , with some very good slug guns shooting sabots.....they are effective , but boy howdy would I trade ANY of them for a good 30/30 in a heartbeat

just for starters, a box of 20 rounds cost very little more as 5 rounds sabots , or can be reloaded for pennies on the dollar....then add flatter trajectory , usually lighter weight and less recoil....still just for starters