Originally Posted by Formidilosus
If you think about how vertical split rings tighten, they pinch the scope tube instead of clamping it. The tightness of the screws to the base also effects the tightness of the scope. Its a poor design

The Warn Vertical Split rings broke the only two HDMRs that I have seen or heard of (out of hundreds). Both mounted to spec, and both exhibited the same issues- parralax lock up, inconsistent tracking, sporadic zero shifts.

I agree that a direct mount is the way to go for strength, however I haven't seen one for a tikka that checks all the blocks. There is more to it than just screws. Ring spacing is a huge issue with regards to zero retention and fending abuse and piccatinny gives the most options there. Every sniper rifle in military use, uses a piccatinny setup and there are many reasons for that- strength being one.

I called Warne and asked them about the rings and tech there told me that the sintered steel had copper in it which actually allowed the rings to bend to fit the scope!
I dont know if this is true but that is what he told me.

I take it that you believe the Warne rings caused the problems in the two HDMR scopes because of the pinching design?
What is parralax lockup??

I would think that since the rear ring can be placed several different places on the dovetail that ring spacing should be adequate?

While the Military sniper rifles use the Piccatinny system I think that maybe the reason could be that most rifles are not designed to use a direct mount system ?

Do you use the steel or aluminum rails and what rings are you using?

Thanks for your input,I appreciate it.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money