I have a serious issue with your statement about walnut stocks and metal rifles gathering dust! Where did you get that conclusion from. I am a former Army Colonel and have followed the whole gun industry for years. Being at big gunstores on lucky occasions I am particularly interested in hearing what father, grandfather, and younger sons and daughter say when they are shopping for that first entry rifle!

It is pretty interesting to watch what they end up with! Chuck Hawks has one of the best respected reviews on the Internet. He clearly favors walnut stocks. I have always noted in looking at combat rifles how many countries use wooden stocks in conditions that many USA hunters would feel greatly would favor "modern fiberglass or composite stocks".
Authorities like Jack O'Connor used wooden stocks when many had shifted to change composites.

Often at big gunstores I ask buyers what would be your ultimate choice in a rifle. Wooden stocks and good barrels and actions is the answer most often.