Recently I bought my third Savage 99. I wanted one with the Schnabel fore-end, 24" barrel and in .300 Savage. This one met all three criteria. It had a pretty crappy looking polyurethane finish that I removed with a 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol. I then applied three "coats" of a hand-rubbing paste made of 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 turpentine and 1/3 melted beeswax. The old rifle was missing a lot of bluing but it seems to be fine mechanically. Last Friday, I bought the first .300 Savage ammunition I've ever had and hope to try her out this week. Here are a few pics, before and after. Thanks for taking a look, and I welcome your comments.
Gary

stock before:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

raw furniture:

[Linked Image]

with one application of hand-rubbing mixture:

[Linked Image]

completed rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More pics here:

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texg...20Savage%2099EG%20300%20Savage%20caliber

Obviously, the old girl has a lot of honest wear, and slight pitting on the receiver and rear of barrel. I've removed the two scopes bases and plan to try it with the open-sights before considering a scope. Overall, I'm pleased with this rifle, bought for $399.

Last edited by Texgunner; 11/24/15.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."