I took my oldest daughter (she's 8 yrs old) glassing the other day. There were elk down low at first light and she agreed to take a stab at them. We gained a small hill about a mile from the truck to find them at 800 yds with open ground between us. I told her our best bet would be pancakes back in town, but she said she wanted an elk, "Dad I want to try for them if you will just go with me." I was beaming. Another not-so-stealthy mile and we cleared a higher rise. She claimed to be near death, but was still on her feet. We settled in overlooking about 300 head of elk from 250 yds out to 600. Addy was thrilled. There were no good bulls, but she wanted one. I asked her which one and she whispered to shoot the biggest one (duh). So that's what we dragged back, compliments of one of my custom field-built meat wagons. Actually, she rode most of the way, making her the first person I've ever seen ride the elk back to the truck. We bumped into a warden who commented on the "nice bull." I told him it was the best elk ever. My daughter shot me a sideways look and disagreed but all I could do was smile. She has been hunting with me since the age of two, but this was her first time chasing elk. And though I had passed on bigger this season it was indeed the best elk ever.

[Linked Image]

Addy skinning
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by headwatermike; 11/25/15.