I like an upright screen and a separate keyboard and mouse. If I'm not mistaken, most of the better tablets can be attached to a keyboard and used like a laptop.

I bought an el cheapo toshiba laptop some years back and it has done everything I ever wanted it to. Just saw it's equivalent this week in an ad for $100 less than I paid 6-7 years ago.
The 15.6" screen is a good blend of portability and user friendliness.

Apps can be quite useful. I have apps for all of the financial/investment firms that I have accounts with. Apps for making quick notes, for setting reminders for appointments, birthdays, bills, and etc...
I even have an app that when opened shows all the theatres in order of their proximity to my location, and lists movies and showtimes.

Likely my most used app is a simple timer/stopwatch feature. When I'm busy I use it to parse out blocks of time for activities. If I have yardwork to do but need to leave for a meeting in 25 minutes, it takes about 10 seconds to set the timer and go about the yard work. Timer goes off and i know it's time to leave for the meeting.

Most things I can do with an app can also be done on full internet sites, but the apps are simple, secure, and quick. I find myself sitting in front of the computer and pulling my fone out to check financial accounts due to their quick access. I also believe them to be more secure than most net connected computers that are used by other family members for gaming and facebook.

"Chances Will Be Taken"